Brisbane Men’s & Boys’ Hockey
Hockey - A Game for Life!
BHA Representative Program
It has been expressed that Brisbane Hockey has not had the success many have been expecting over the last few seasons. With this collective view being held, it was decided that the BHA representative program would be reviewed in 2006. The program has been undergoing a number of changes over the past few years with a view to providing all our players with the best opportunity that can be provided for them to perform at their best.
Aims of the Representative Program
The obvious aim of the program is to make Brisbane the most successful centre for hockey in Queensland. The more specific aims to achieve this are :-
- To improve the standard of hockey at all age levels
- To provide qualified coaches for our representative teams
- To provide training opportunities for the players
- To provide safe and comfortable transport and accommodation
- To provide the opportunity for as many players as feasible to represent their club, their family and themselves at Brisbane level
- To gain success for Brisbane teams at Coulter Shield and State Championships
- To provide increased representation of Brisbane players in State teams
- To provide specialist coaching for improvement in specialist skills
- To mentor coaches of our representative teams to improve their skills
Steps to Achieve Aims
Some of the positive changes introduced to achieve these aims are :-
- Brisbane II teams have been included in the Division 1 competition at Coulter Shield
- There will be 3 teams selected in under 11 to under 18 for participation in Coulter Shield
- There will be 3 teams selected in under 13 to under 18 for participation in State Championships.
- Training bags and equipment will be provided to each coach of a representative team to facilitate efficient training sessions.
- Representative trainings will be held on Sunday mornings instead of mid week.
- The Under 13 and Under 15 teams will travel to their State Championships on Saturday to allow them to settle in better before the commencement of the tournament on the Monday.
- There has been an increased Brisbane involvement in the Southbank program to enhance the training sessions for our players.
- BHA Secretary has developed a new website allowing an area specifically dedicated to the representative program
- Documenting of Code of Conduct and role statements for all Representative Players, Coaches and Managers
- Updating of the BHA Representative Handbook
The instigation of these changes was the first step in achieving an effective program that will allow Brisbane to be the dominant centre in Queensland hockey. The program continues to undergo ongoing reviews to ensure that the best outcomes are achieved for our players.
- Select the age group or team of interest from the menu to the left of this page;
- Important details for each age group or team are displayed on these pages;
- All Representative documents and forms are available using the menu to the left of this page;
- Players and Officials should periodically check the Hockey Queensland Website for Championship Draws.